The California WIC Program promotes, supports and protects exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months of life and continued breastfeeding for at least the first year.
All WIC staff members support breastfeeding as the normal infant feeding choice. In our offices, the breastfeeding education and support is provided by specialized staff such as: Peer Counselors, Lactation Educators, and Lactation Consultants.
- Prenatal group classes
- Breastfeeding support groups
- One-on-one counseling with pregnant and/or post-partum women
- Support over the phone
- Electric breast pump loans
- Manual pumps may also be available
- Referrals to breastfeeding services